LGPL license

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Hi-

I am currently manually registering my Interop component through C# code, and thought this might be a better way to do it, 

However, I am trying to understand the implications of using your templates to write a program. 

If I were to write a program which is based on these templates, am I required to license my project under the LGPL as well (and thus have to release the source code with the product)?  The GNU FAQ seems to indicate yes. This would mean that if I decide to create a proprietary program, that I would be forced to license it under LGPL and therefore release the source code.

Do you know if my understanding of this is correct?

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

My intent as author of these templates is that they can be fully used in proprietary software without requiring you (the consumer of this project) to release your own source code. My understanding of LGPL is summarized in this StackOverflow answer and is essentially this: if you wanted to modify this package to create new project templates then you would need to release those modified templates under LGPL but your application that uses them can still be proprietary and closed source. However, if you consume the templates as they are provided then you don't need to release any source at all.

If your lawyer believes otherwise let me know and I will pick a different license that is more clearly in line with my intent.

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Thanks, and thank you for the link. I don't have a lawyer (and hoping not to need one); I'm just a small time developer kicking around some ideas. I sincerely appreciate your time in answering & your effort in releasing the C# interop templates.